11/20/2013

A Hipster's Paradise: The Closet

Evening!

It's been a week since my post on Retrospect, which received a pretty positive response. Now it's time for the 2nd part in this feature on vintage stores in Aberdeen. This week I thought we'd take a look at The Closet (31 Joop's Lane AB25 1BX) a stunning vintage store, not too far from Retrospect, that trades in unique and individual pieces, available for purchase and hire. The shop was rich and overflowing with stunning vintage pieces causing me go mad taking pictures of everything. Enjoy!


Elane is the lovely owner of The Closet, the woman who makes it what it is now. In secondary school, she bought her first ever vintage item from the store, a snakeskin clutch. When her husband found out it was for sale in 2005, they had to snap it up.

 Fur, glorious fur.

Although Elane doesn't believe in new fur, she does sell an array of real vintage fur. She told me that, when she was younger, she visited her brother during summers, travelling through Queens Cross, London. In the 80's Queens Cross was, let's say, not so pleasant, with homeless children around the streets. People were protesting against fur products and encouraging people to bring their products to burn and all she could think was "Give it to the children. The damage is already done."
 I completely agree with Elane in the sense that vintage fur should be reused and resold as it's already been produced. Use it for something or else it was all for nothing. But the continuous manufacturing of real fur products are not necessary. 


"It's all about heritage." All the pieces are sourced from individuals in and around Aberdeen and each item tells a story. No bulk buys here! 
The Russian Princess
This mustard dress with feather and sheer detail belonged to a young girl who fled Russia, along with her family, to Paris.


  


That's is for "A Hipster's Paradise" this week, but come back next week for store number 3. I also though you might like to know that I've just agreed to help out Cancer Research revamp their small, in-store vintage section. It's volunteer work but I think it'll be a fun bit of experience where I can put all the new skills I've learned so far into practice. I'll keep you posted on my progress!

Stay beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment